[ubuntu-us-mi] MUG meeting sponsorship

Greg Grossmeier greg at grossmeier.net
Tue Mar 8 03:13:19 UTC 2011

Hello there Team!

I have a bit of a proposal for everyone.

[tl;dr: We're going to sponsor a MUG meeting! Help us raise money by
donating to greg at grossmeier.net on Paypal!]

Background / About MUG
----------------------

As many of you may know, one of the best linux related groups in Michigan
is MUG, or Michigan!/usr/group (http://www.mug.org). They hold monthly
meetings in Southfield, Michigan. Many Ubuntu LoCo team members have been
attending MUG meetings for a long time and I highly recommend checking
them out if you have a chance. In fact their next meeting is tomorrow(!)
night, March 8th, where our own Craig Maloney (snapl on IRC) will be
presenting on how to create a podcast. As many of you know, Craig and
Rick Harding are the co-hosts of the awesome Lococast podcast
(http://lococast.net). And the Ubuntu Michigan LoCo/MUG intermingling
doesn't stop there. Many other LoCo members have presented in the past
include Jorge Castro, Rick, and myself.

MUG also brings in amazing out of town speakers and can do that because
they help pay the travel costs as much as possible. The room they use for
the meetings is also something they have to pay for each time. Thus, to
put on such great events with such great content requires some money.
This is why they have yearly membership dues of $35. I know that some
LoCo members are also paying MUG members.

The Proposal
------------

MUG has also recently started a new program where a business or group can
sponsor a meeting:
http://www.mug.org/twiki/bin/view/Mugwiki/CorpSponsorship

Basically, what this means is that we could, as a group, raise the $150
to sponsor a MUG meeting where we could then have an Ubuntu-themed
meeting and any member of the Michigan LoCo will be considered a full
member for 2011.

Really, the best part is contributing to the success of MUG and having an
Ubuntu-themed MUG meeting.

At last night's IRC meeting it was officially decided that we will
participate as a LoCo and sponsor a MUG meeting. This is where *YOU* come
in.

The How
-------

Lets raise that required $150 as fast as we can! I will be accepting
donations to my Paypal account (greg at grossmeier.net). When we hit $150
I'll send a note to this mailing list and let the MUG Board know.

Also, in case anyone has any reservations about giving money to me to
then give to MUG, I will log into my Paypal account for any LoCo member
who attends a MUG meeting and show the donation information.

The next part is the best: Our sponsored meeting.

Our Meeting
-----------

Craig, who is on the MUG Board, is looking into finding the best
available meeting for us to use as an Ubuntu-themed/LoCo-Sponsored
meeting. Since it'll be Ubuntu-themed we should have one or two great
Ubuntu-related talks. These can be anything from a how-to to a case study
of your use of Ubuntu in some really interesting situation (run 1000
Ubuntu servers in a cluster? Tell us about it!).

Let me or the list know if you have a topic that you would like to
present!

Questions?

Let me know if you have any questions about this fundraiser or MUG in
general.

Thanks!

Greg

--