[ubuntu-us-mi] Ubuntu on Lenovo x120e

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Wed Aug 31 19:43:14 UTC 2011

Hi. I'm having serious trouble getting Ubuntu to run on my new x120e. I
was referred to this list by the guys at grlug list.

I've reformatted the HDD into three partitions: about 15GB for /, about
280GB for /home, and about 10GB for swap.

I installed 10.04 first and, despite several days of searching, was
unable to find out how to get more than 1080x768 resolution, even tho
the computer's natural resolution is 1360x768.

So I decided to try 11.04. This installed fine and the installation
screens and liveCD all show lovely resolution.

Unfortunately, once the 11.04 is installed, it won't open. I get this
error:

   error: invalid arch independent ELF magic
   grub rescue>

Again I've searched around but haven't found anything that works. Wh

When I try to do 'grub-install' I get this error:

   cannot stat `aufs'

Again searching Google I mostly find "try this and try that" and nothing
that clearly works.

When I Google "ELF magic" the only things that come up are about
SantaClaus.

I also tried downloading and installing grub-efi, but that didn't help
either.

I'd love to be able to use my new laptop without days and days of
frustrating efforts.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks.