[ubuntu-us-mi] creating a GPT disk label

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 17:28:02 BST 2010

How does one specify to the Ubuntu installer to create a GPT disk
label instead of an MSDOS label when installing Ubuntu server?

I would like to install Ubuntu on some servers and have the disks on
the servers use the GPT disk label.  Unfortunately, I have not been
successful in creating a GPT disk label using the server CD.

My current method is to boot with the Ubuntu desktop CD, type 'sudo
parted /dev/sda mklabel gpt' in a terminal, and reboot, swapping out
the desktop CD for the server CD.  That works, but I find it rather
cumbersome.  I've tried booting the server CD, exiting to a shell, and
typing parted.  But apparently parted is not on the server CD or is
not available via busybox.  I also tried fdisk, but it does not
support creating GPT labels.

Is there a way to create a GPT disk label using the server CD?

Regards,
- Robert