[ubuntu-us-mi] Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid in Virtual Box

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:12:53 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Was able to run Ubuntu 10.04 as a guest on Ubuntu 8.10 using VB
> 2.0.4-OSE and Ubuntu 8.04 using VB 1.5.6-OSE.  However, I had to press
> the F6 key at boot up and check both acpi=off and noapic.

Since the issue seemed to be with acpi and apic, I had a look around
in the settings of VBox.  Sure enough, under Machine > Settings >
General > Advanced (tab) > Extended Features (section), there are two
started the VM using the 10.04 ISO.  Ubuntu 10.04 booted up without
having to modify the boot options with F6, but took in excess of 7
minutes to boot.  I rebooted with acpi=off and noapic and the LiveCD
booted in about a minute.

This was with Ubuntu 8.04 using VBox 1.5.6-OSE.  On Ubuntu 8.10 using
VBox 2.0.4-OSE the LiveCD would not boot even with ACPI and APIC
checked in VBox.  The only way to get 10.04 to boot was to set the
acpi=off and noapic options.

This was with the 03-23 ISO.  We'll see what happens in the coming days.

Regards,
- Robert