[ubuntu-us-mi] JeOS 9.04 in a VBox VM on 8.04

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 03:48:24 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Scott Moser <smoser at brickies.net> wrote:
>   If I recall correctly, the kernel team is hoping to move away from i386
> non pae kernels entirely, as there simply isn't a lot of hardware that
> can't do pae, and the pae overhead is somewhat small .  This is largely
> memory of a conversation I had once, so it could be way off base.

I would have thought one would want to have the lowest
common-denominator.  That is, make it so everyone can install and
boot, and those that want/need more can install the fancy stuff later.
 Some ways to achieve that:

1) use a non-PAE kernel and offer a PAE kernel in the repositories
2) have the option to turn off PAE in a PAE kernel  (google for
"nopae" gets lots of Windows hits)
3) choose which type of kernel at install time, defaulting to non-PAE

>   I'm surprised that virtualbox can't boot the kernel, that is a somewhat
> serious issue.  I'm guessing  thats because you've got an older virtualbox
> version with 8.04.  Just from googling it seems newer virtualbox supports
> pae.  http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog .

Yes, the version of VBox that comes with Ubuntu 8.04 does not support
PAE.  But the latest version of VBox hasn't been back-ported.

Regards,
- Robert