[ubuntu-us-mi] JeOS 9.04 in a VBox VM on 8.04

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 01:11:15 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any insight on how I can install JeOS 9.04 in a
> VirtualBox virtual machine that is running under Ubuntu 8.04?
>
> All I need is a 1 GB virtual machine with a simple bash shell and
> networking.  VirtualBox 1.5.6_OSE that comes with Ubuntu 8.04 does not
> support PAE.  The kernel that installs under JeOS 9.04 seems to
> require PAE.

The Ubuntu server install is quite small and barebones if you don't
pick any extra stuff to install. You can still get 9.04 if 9.10 is too
awesome. http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/

> Is there a boot option for turning off PAE?  A google search and a
> 'man bootparam' suggest there isn't.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I'm thinking of installing JeOS 8.04 and then doing a dist-upgrade.
>
> I was hoping that I could install the Desktop version and then strip
> things back down, but the Desktop version of Ubuntu 9.04 requires much
> more space than 1 GB.  And stripping it back down seems to obviate the
> whole point of having JeOS.

It would be much easier to start from the server install, or maybe the
alternate install without a GUI. I remember trying to strip down a
Desktop install a while ago and there were a lot of useless little
things that always hung around.