[ubuntu-us-mi] cannot reboot/powercycle machine with external USB drive powered on

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 15:53:47 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Aaron VanSledright
<avansledright at gmail.com> wrote:
> Your BIOS is probably set to boot from a USB...

It is.

> and im guessing you dont have an operating system on the drive :)

I didn't, but I do now.  I've removed the internal drive and now have
it booting exclusively from the external USB drive.  As before, the
machine boots from the USB drive just fine if I power it on before the
machine starts.  But it will not boot from a reboot nor from a
power-cycle of the machine, unless I power-cycle the drive off before
the machine starts its POST.

FWIW, booting and rebooting using a USB thumbdrive works just fine as
long as the Verbatim drive is not plugged in.

> Remove USB boot from your bios

Not really desirable, but would work, although I'm not sure how to
disable USB booting without disabling all USB functions.

Another idea would be taking the drive out of the enclosure and making
it an internal drive (downside: no portability).

What I am looking for is a tool that will configure the drive not to
get into whatever state it is in.  I was hoping hdparm would work, but
none of the options I tried worked.

Regards,
- Robert