[ubuntu-us-mi] cannot reboot/powercycle machine with external USB drive powered on

t jagoda spam.goes.here48048 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 01:13:44 GMT 2010

I had a problem similar on my old Dell XPS, with a USB-connected HP
Photosmart printer.  USB wasn't in my boot order, and it would just sit at a
black screen until I turned off the printer, at which point XP would proceed
normal.

I just assumed it was an incompatibility at the BIOS level, and turned off
the printer.