[ubuntu-us-mi] How to shut down MySQL on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04?

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 19:30:18 GMT 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Jay R. Wren <jrwren at xmtp.net> wrote:
> The launchpad bug to which you linked says it is fixed in
> 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.8. So it sounds like a nasty bug which has been fixed and
> you have the unfortunate task of performing some recovery.
>
> is there a way you can install 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.8 and not bounce the mysql
> service so that upstart is refreshed (presumably with the upgrade to
> 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.8) and you can safely shutdown with service mysql stop?
> Maybe a dpkg --unpack or dpkg --no-triggers?

What that fix does is increase the timeout to 300, which we have done manually.

At this point our safest solutions appears to be this:

$ sudo mysqladmin shutdown ; sudo service mysql stop

The shutdown will gracefully bring down the server and then try to
bring it back up.  The stop brings it down right as it is trying to
come back up.  A mysqladmin flush-tables may work as well.

We'll then apply any upgrades and see what happens.

On the bright side, this is happening on one of our slaves.  Once we
find a solution we'll use that on our other slaves and the master.

Regards,
- Robert