[ubuntu-us-mi] How to shut down MySQL on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04?

Craig Maloney craig at decafbad.net
Thu Dec 16 17:32:46 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 12:15 -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Craig Maloney <craig at decafbad.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 11:26 -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> >> How does one gracefully shut down MySQL on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04?
> >>

> > Best way is to use the service command:
> >
> > sudo service mysql stop
>
> That's the problem.  The "best" way corrupts the tables.  Even setting
> the kill timeout to 300 doesn't change the default behaviour of
> sending a KILL signal after 5 seconds:

If you're having problems with InnoDB corrupting tables, then your
problem isn't with the start / stop scripts... something isn't getting
shut down properly on that machine, or the files themselves have
corruption issues. I'd recommend looking further down the chain to see
what the problem is. Also, have you run a fsck on the filesystem that
the data files are on, lately? (full fsck, not just journal fsck).

Good luck. Sounds like a mess. :)