[ubuntu-us-mi] Ubuntu lucid sendmail test

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 20:18:12 BST 2010

I'm testing sendmail on Lucid and I'm not getting the output that I expect.

I did a plain default sendmail install and am now testing it using
these instructions:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/x15583.html

According to those pages, when I type this:

# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bt

sendmail is supposed to output this:

ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>

Instead, sendmail doesn't output anything.  It's as though I had typed
'cat'.  Sendmail just sits there.

What am I missing?  Is the documentation not in sync with sendmail?  I
sendmail not configured correctly?  Does the version of sendmail in
Lucid have a bug?  Something else?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards,
- Robert