[ubuntu-us-mi] Not automounting and autodisplaying USB drives

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 16:26:23 BST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Jeff Hanson <jhansonxi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or I do the equivalent via gconf-editor.  Since these modify Nautilus
>> preferences is there a way to do this via Nautilus, too?  I didn't see
>> anything obvious.
>
> Edit > Preferences > Media > Never prompt or start programs upon media insertion

Turns out that does not have an affect on my USB stick.  However, if I
uncheck the neighboring "Browse media when inserted", that prevents
Nautilus from automatically opening the filesystem.  It is equivalent
to this gconf setting:

$ gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount --type=bool false

> If you plug something in and don't see it in /media then it's not mounted.

Right.  Unfortunately, Nautilus (or something) still wants to
automount it.  So, for now, I'll still have to use the gconf command
or gconf editor to prevent the automounting.

Regards,
- Robert