[ubuntu-us-mi] 11/12 Meeting for USSF Tech Volunteers

Mark Libkuman libkuman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 15:49:40 GMT 2009

Hello,

   I am writing to let you know about a meeting for people willing to
help with technology for the next United States Social Forum. The
Forum is being held in Detroit in June of 2010. This meeting will be
Thursday,  November 11th at 7pm at the Cass Cafe located at 4620 Cass
Ave between W. Forest Ave and Prentis Street in Detroit.

    Many of you  may have already heard of the Social Forum being held
in Detroit, what you might not have heard is that the USSF has
committed to a set of principals for all of the technology driving the
forum, including the following:

"Technology decisions will leverage the principles of free and open
source software; software free of corporate control, non-proprietary,
owned and maintained by the community of developers and users.
(consistent with WSF Charter of Principles 4)" (from
http://ict.ussf2010.org/wiki/technology_principles)

  Therefore, to make the Social Forum a success we are going to need
lots of help from the Free Software Community and first place you look
for that is Linux Users groups. The last US Social Forum was in
Atlanta, and through the local Linux Users Group there we were able to
get volunteers to help us obtain almost 100 work stations, then get
them all running Ubuntu with a package of necessary free software
tools in order to register 10,000 folks in a few hours, plus provide
enough computers for a fully functioning media lab.

  So to make Detroit a success we have a lot of work to do and we need
help from people on the ground. At the meeting we will be discussing:

1. setting up computers for registration
2. setting up a media lab
3. other onsite tech needs
4. The 5 current websites for promoting and organizing the social
forum (2 wikis, 3 drupal sites)
5. Other Work of the ICT (Information and Communication Technology)
working group
6. organizing a regular Detroit Local Organizing Tech Committee.

 So would love to see you Thursday night, but if you can't come and
are interested please email me.

cheers,
Mark Libkuman
Information and Communication Technology Working Group
United States Social Forum, 2010 Detroit