[ubuntu-us-mi] /etc/cron.daily/apt and proxy

Jay R. Wren jrwren at xmtp.net
Mon May 18 21:52:38 BST 2009

Good point!

I recently ran into this issue, since it sudo's as the admin user, which is
by default the first user of the admin group. I didn't like this much on a
server machine, so I simply added root as the first user in the admin group.
Its hacky for sure, but at least this cron job isn't sudoing to my account
every night.

The goal is to get http proxy settings which are set via the ubuntu
administration menu, presumably by the default admin user.

There are a lot of assumptions IMO. but if the http_proxy environment
variable is set, it will be used instead, so you could just set the
http_proxy environment variable.  You'd have to set it either in that
/etc/cron.daily/apt or in /etc/crontab. it doesn't look like crontab reads
any profile or environment before starting.

--
Jay