[ubuntu-us-mi] Freezing Ubuntu

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 21:12:30 BST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Traveler<sgttutt2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Gary, I have the same problem, and it seems my mouse/keyboard will not unfreeze it. Usually happens after it has been on awhile with no activity. If I restart the computer it works fine.
> I have not found a fix yet. No problem with XP doing the same as I have it set it up as a dual boot.

That could indicate the screen saver or sleep/hibernate is causing the
problem.  If it freezes again, try pinging it.  From a terminal enter
"ping -c 5 <IP address>".  If it doesn't respond then it has frozen.
See if the keyboard lights are blinking:
http://jhansonxi.blogspot.com/2007/12/keyboard-led-flashing-panic.html

If it does respond, then you can try logging in remotely with ssh
(assuming openssh-server is installed).  Check the kernel messages
with dmesg and the X.org log file in /var/log.