[ubuntu-us-mi] recycling-donation project

Matt Arnold matt.mattarn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 20:10:38 GMT 2009

Josh,

When I read this, I thought of Dan Diebolt, who wants to create a
local community for DIY Makers and would like Penguicon to help. I'm
CC'ing him on this to see what you might want to do together since
your interests obviously intersect.

Dan is going to make signage and Penguicon is going to give him tables
on which to display identical Pentium 4 computers from Silicon Alley
Recyclers. All weekend the computers will be running basic
Do-It-Yourself open source projects that can run
on recycled computers. For instance, digital TV, jukebox, telephony,
BitTorrent, and various servers. These projects are kitted up with
resources and instructions on the web. The goal is that random Star
Wars fans with not much tech background will see Dan's signage, look
at the computers, and get hooked on Open Source.

-Matt