[ubuntu-us-mi] IPCOP Setup was:Ubuntu Small Business Server CPU split

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 00:58:36 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Mark <mark.klug at ccagent.com> wrote:
> I do the same at home.  Do you have multiple green interfaces?  If so,
> how did you configure that.

Actually they are "gray" interfaces:

It works but you have to reinstall it every time IPCop is updated (not
very often so not a major problem).

> Also, tell me more about the "secure subnet for fixing ... Windows".  As
> a side project, I am becoming the extended family IT guy and this would
> be great for bringing in a machine to be fixed.

With the above add-on, set a Gray NIC to have normal DHCP services but
no access to Red (Internet) for anything.  It can't access Green by
default but Green can access it.  Basically any system on the secure
subnet can be accessed by Green for recovering files or RDC but they
can't connect out to anywhere to send pr0n spam or infect other
systems.  They stay on the secure subnet until they've been wiped.