[ubuntu-us-mi] Ubuntu Small Business Server CPU split

Mark mark.klug at ccagent.com
Sat Jan 3 00:26:43 GMT 2009

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Mark <mark.klug at ccagent.com> wrote:
>
>> Is one box really powerful enough to handle everything?  If not, how
>> would you distribute the software between a Network
>>

> It's a matter of load and network structure.  Some hosted apps require
> a lot of memory (IDS, content filtering), some require a lot of CPU,
> and others require a lot of storage I/O.  The less conflicting
> requirements the better.
>
> A small engineering company I do IT work for at one point had five
> rather powerful servers with Windows Server 2003 (the owner dictated
> the structure).  One was for user home shares and shared data.  One
> for hosted apps for bug tracking and version control.  One for
> performing backups to a RAID5 array.  One for externally-accessed
> SharePoint. The last was a household server for family videos, etc.
> The company had at most three employees.  Obviously they were idle
> 99.999% of the time but the power company appreciates these types of
> setups.

This is the crux of the problem, the balance between all of the above. I
am trying to avoid the engineering company scenario for several reasons:
cost of hardware, energy costs, and server admin costs.

Do you think a small company, say 3-50 people can put it's file shares,
LDAP, database, internal webserver, AND secure email server all on one
machine?  Oh... and I'd really like upgrade that "basic" email server to
a groupware solution to compete against Exchange.