[ubuntu-us-mi] Ubuntu Small Business Server CPU split

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 00:11:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Mark <mark.klug at ccagent.com> wrote:
> Is one box really powerful enough to handle everything?  If not, how
> would you distribute the software between a Network

It's a matter of load and network structure.  Some hosted apps require
a lot of memory (IDS, content filtering), some require a lot of CPU,
and others require a lot of storage I/O.  The less conflicting
requirements the better.

I have a server for my small office but use a separate system with
IPCop for basic network services.  It's better for security to have
separate unrelated systems but it uses more energy and increases the
downtime since either one can fail.  I have physically separate
networks for "household", public WiFi, a secure subnet for fixing
malware infected Windows systems, and another for future public
servers.  This separation could also be achieved with a better
Ethernet switch and VLANs.

A small engineering company I do IT work for at one point had five
rather powerful servers with Windows Server 2003 (the owner dictated
the structure).  One was for user home shares and shared data.  One
for hosted apps for bug tracking and version control.  One for
performing backups to a RAID5 array.  One for externally-accessed
SharePoint. The last was a household server for family videos, etc.
The company had at most three employees.  Obviously they were idle
99.999% of the time but the power company appreciates these types of
setups.