[ubuntu-us-mi] EFF (was: wtf?!)

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Sat Apr 18 16:17:06 BST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:34:27AM -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM, t jagoda <spam.goes.here48048 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm glad I didn't renew my FSF membership this year - I feel my contribution
> > to the EFF is much more well spent.
>
> Talking about the EFF:
>
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/boston-college-prompt-commands-are-suspicious
>
> "Boston College Campus Police: "Using Prompt Commands" May Be a Sign
> of Criminal Activity"
>
> A flashier title would have been "Use Ubuntu, go to jail."

Unfortunately, a lot of the hype around this story focuses on the fact
that he uses linux, and not the fact that there is a lot of evidence
against him about him being involved with serious crimes.  There's
evidence in DHCP logs and IP information that would give good reason
for the computers to be confiscated.

It's unfortunate that the arresting officer has such a
microsoft-centric viewpoint.  Take a look at the end of this document:
http://www.eff.org/files/filenode/inresearchBC/EXHIBIT-A.pdf, you'll
see paragraphs about how to undelete files from a FAT filesystem, and
recover internet histry from IE's caches.  I suspect the officer will
be quite perplexed by ext3 and firefox.