[ubuntu-us-mi] Computer recycling

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:49:54 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Josh <jpdreamcenter at comcast.net> wrote:
> The idea was to take older, out of date systems that people are junking, breath some
> life into them with Ubuntu and give them away to folks who otherwise
> could not get anything, schools, church, whatever could use and/or
> appreciate them. I thought it was a great way to keep from feeding the
> landfills, a great way to give a bit of a helping hand to some folks
> that may need it, a good way to promote Ubuntu, linux, and FOSS in
> general, a way to build some skills, and a bit of fun tinkering.

Check out FreeGeek[1,2] and ByteWorks[3,4].  IIRC, there are a few
other groups in the SF Bay Area that do something similar.  Those may
be models to emulate or at least learn from their successes/mistakes.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Geek
[2] http://www.freegeek.org/index.php
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bworks
[4] http://byteworks.bworks.org/