[ubuntu-us-mi] Need verification of nosmp bug in Hardy

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 00:22:47 BST 2008

While trying to troublehsoot a different problem with VMware Player
(now fixed) I attempted to disable the other cores on my Phenom 9550
with the "nosmp" boot option.  It hangs my system during boot every
time.  There is an old bug report that describes the same issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/94192

I would appreciate it if some of you could verify this so I can
determine if it's just my configuration that causes it.  Basically hit
"Esc" at the Grub prompt, select the default kernel config (usually
the top one) and press "e" to edit it.  Move down to the kernel line
and press "e" again.  You should then be able to edit the line.  It
should look similar to this:
kernel=/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=/dev/mapper/vg0-lv0_crypt ro quiet splash

Edit the end of the line to look like:
kernel=/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=/dev/mapper/vg0-lv0_crypt ro
nosplash nosmp

Then press "Enter" and then "b" to boot with it.  Don't worry, the
change is temporary.  Mine hangs part way through around floppy
detection (yes I have one).  This may be caused by it prompting for
the password to my encrypted / partition.  I don't get the prompt so
I'm not sure.  "maxcpus=0" is equivalent to nosmp.  If you have a
single-core hyperthreading CPU try "noht".