[ubuntu-us-mi] Global Bug Jam - Locations?

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 19:42:51 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Dereck <dereck at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a member of the LUG here but we are out of session for the
> summer, It's a university group. I want to make more of a public type
> of group though; how would you go about getting the word out and
> making such a group? The LUG members from the university are away, so
> I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

Obviously using a Ubuntu bug jam to start one isn't likely to work.
Maybe seek out other local groups and see if any have members who are
looking for a group closer to where they live.  Search with Google for
"linux <town name>" and see what shows up.  I did this and found one
starting in Sudbury, ON (http://slugonline.org).  Too far for you but
there may be some users in-between.  You could also target some
linux-related product enthusiasts like EeePC or Tivo with hacking
events.

You could also advertise a "Canuck-Yooper Area" LUG (CYALUG?) at
Penguicon (http://penguicon.org) or Ontario Linux Fest
(http://onlinux.ca).  I might be willing to drive up there at least
once and maybe bring some of those annoying Canadian geese to kick
back across the border.

But the bug triaging process is an online activity so not having an
active LUG doesn't really limit you except for the inability to pool
funds for pizza and beer.