[ubuntu-us-mi] Meeting Reminder Tues Dec 9th

Rick Harding rharding at mitechie.com
Tue Dec 9 02:52:55 GMT 2008

Our next MUG meeting is Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Main Topic: Large Linux Deployment - A Case Study

Our speaker is: */Marlon F. Dutra/*

This month, we have a special guest from Porto Alegre, Brazil. Marlon
Dutra, a Brazilian entrepreneur, has worked with information technology,
especially Linux, since 1996, when the first commercial Internet service
providers started operating in Brazil. Since then, he has worked with
Linux/Unix servers, corporate network planning, security and IP telephony.

Marlon is a founding director at Propus Inform?tica Ltda, a company
specializing in corporate servers and IP telephony-related services.
Marlon served two years as the president of FISL
<http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/9.0/www/capa> (International Free Software
Forum), held every year in Porto Alegre, Brazil, today one of greatest free
software conferences in the world.

Marlon will talk about a case study of Uninorte, the largest private
university in Northern Brazil, with 23,000 students. Uninorte has about
90% of its infra-structure based on Linux, using LTSP (Linux Terminal
Server Project), with about 1500 thin clients, coming from 11 different
buildings in the city, booting from a centralized Linux cluster, designed
and implemented by Propus and specially tailored for LTSP.

100% of Uninorte's telephony is based on voice over IP, a project
implemented by Propus in 2007. The solution is entirely based on the open
source software Asterisk. This installation has 500+ extensions in 11
facilities, all connected through a gigabit fiber network.

     Command of the month: diff

In this month's Unix Command Line session, */Bill Allie/* will explain
what's the diff and why you might care.

*Everything Else*
As usual we'll discuss any current happenings in the Linux community, have
our book giveaway, and plan on some dinner after the meeting where you can
hammer our speakers with the hard hitting questions they deserve.

If you have topics for future meetings you would like us to cover please
email the board <mailto:board at mug.org>, thanks.

     Where:

The MUG meetings are held at:

Farmington Community Library - Main Branch <http://www.farmlib.org>
32737 W. 12 Mile Rd.
Farmington Hills, MI 48334-3302

Click here
<http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&formtype=address&searchtype=address&cat=&addre
+ss=32737%20W%2012%20Mile%20Rd&city=Farmington%20Hills&state=MI&zipcode=48334%2d3302&searchtab=home>
for a map of the area.

     When:

the meetings are on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

6:00pm  Doors open, registration             O'Reilly <http://www.oreilly.com>
6:30pm  Meeting starts, Mug business
6:45pm  Main presentation
8:15pm  2nd Presentation