[ubuntu-us-mi] Computer Recycle Project

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 20:06:50 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Dereck Wonnacott <dereck at gmail.com> wrote:
> If PII and PIII machines can really be made use of, I might be able to
> get my hands on a few hundred of them that are being stockpiled here for
> disposal at Lake Superior State University. Primarily Gateway E3200,
> E3400, and E3600's. I have saved a few of the E3400's in the past and
> given them out with success.

Based on what I've built, I wouldn't consider anything less than a
900MHz system with 256MB and a basic 3D video card.  Even 700MHz
systems with a really good 3D video card are barely tolerable.  If
it's can't handle YouTube with Flash or run basic games like Blob
Wars, Chromium, or Battle for Wesnoth, then it's not really appealing
for desktop use.

> RAM is a likely issue though, in many cases we removed the HDD's for
> archival and the RAM in order to 'upgrade' the machines that could not
> be replaced yet.

If used replacement RAM and drives can be obtained then it's not a
problem.  New RAM modules of the PC100/PC133 variety often cost more
than the system is worth.

Check out the competition:
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0280653

And page 24 of their flash ad: