[ubuntu-us-mi] Computer Recycle Project

Dereck Wonnacott dereck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 19:23:38 BST 2008

Adam Lincoln wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what the status of the project is, but I too have a machine
>>> that needs a new home, whether in the hands of another computer user, or
>>> in a recycling bin. Does anyone know of any local programs, or programs
>>> we can make local?
>
>     The Wayne State University LUG has been collecting machines for a
> couple of years - most of which are P2, P3 generation machines.  We've
> tried to run giveaways to students here with limited success, and
> we're in the process of setting up a very small lab.  Once we get
> enough machines, there's interest in the group to try for a larger
> scale donation - like 10 or so machines, all set up, ready to benefit
> a local charity, for example.
>
>     We're slowly working our way toward this.  We'd be happy to take
> any old machines (but understand if you find another home for them).
> Our members live here and there, so we can probably arrange for
> picking up/dropping off as needed.  Please note that we do not have
> official non-profit status (because 1) to do it through the school
> would grant WSU ownership of anything donated to us, and 2) doing it
> ourselves is probably not worth it), so anything given to us is not a
> tax write-off.
>
>     If anyone would like to arrange a donation, we would be thrilled
> to have it.  It's probably best to email wsulug at gmail.com, so it gets
> forwarded to all our officers.
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>     Adam
>     (Outgoing WSULUG President)

If PII and PIII machines can really be made use of, I might be able to
get my hands on a few hundred of them that are being stockpiled here for
disposal at Lake Superior State University. Primarily Gateway E3200,
E3400, and E3600's. I have saved a few of the E3400's in the past and
given them out with success.

RAM is a likely issue though, in many cases we removed the HDD's for
archival and the RAM in order to 'upgrade' the machines that could not
be replaced yet.

If the group has an interest, I can do some more research.

~Dereck