[ubuntu-us-mi] Introduction

Matt Arnold matt.mattarn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 00:13:28 GMT 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 6:48 PM, Trevor Jagoda <spam.goes.here48048 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Welcome aboard, Matt!
>
> I'm rather the reverse of you - I found out about PenguiCon because of
> Linux!  Anyway, we'll sure be able to get some involvement in 2009
> planned, with the chair for 2009 on our lists and all.

It's not too soon! This year's Tech Guests of Honor are both
intimately involved with Ubuntu. We've got a good start with an Ubuntu
Q&A session. ("Good start" is a veiled hint that we're throwing this
wide open for more.) As always, if we get more Linux people involved
in running this convention, it sure couldn't hurt. So anyone on the
Ubuntu Michigan LoCo, step right up! Ask anyone you know, if they want
to present.

I'm excited about attending Ohio's Ubuntucon too. One thing listed in
their plans is what, for lack of a better term, I call a booth fair.
Ever since I attended Ohio LinuxFest 2007, I felt very inspired to
start a booth fair at Penguicon. We haven't announced the booth fair
on penguicon.org because it's in a formative stage, but this year it
will a few hours of the Friday evening of the convention. So far we've
got booths reserved by The Linux Fund, the Free Software Foundation,
Silicon Mechanics, and several others who are very likely. Tables are
free of charge to any Penguicon registrant with an organization, group
or company. It's separate from the dealer's room in that it is not for
shopping, so products may not be directly sold at the booth fair. But
nonprofit event registrations and group memberships may be sold.
Anybody who knows how to attract more organizations or companies, or
has contacts who they can talk to, please let me know. LUGs would
certainly be welcome.

> Here's hoping we can get your splash screens and command-line-fear
> resolved.  The best place I've found for support from the LoCo is this
> very list, or possibly the IRC channel on freenode, if you're looking
> for something a bit more real time.  If it's person-to-person you
> prefer, I don't know of anybody off hand who lives in the Hazel Park
> area.  Most of us (myself included) are somewhat near the Detroit chunk
> of the state, so that's not really an issue.  Welcome!
>

> Trevor Jagoda

Thanks! Actually, I live at the intersection of I-75 and I-696, so
even if nobody can make house calls, I can talk to you about it at any
in-person meeting you have. But I do plan to make the IRC meeting on
the 2nd, as well.

-Matt