[ubuntu-us-mi] Question from a Newbie

Craig Maloney craig at decafbad.net
Wed Nov 21 19:19:37 GMT 2007

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Ubuntu so please go easy on me.  I am wanting to setup a
> development system using Ubuntu, but I'm not really sure where to
> start.  I have used Eclipse for C++ work.  I was hoping that I could get
> pointed in the right direction on how to set things up regarding how to
> setup a fully functioning Ubuntu C++ development box.

Well, for the most part it's set up to become a great development
environment by default. You can install Eclipse using `sudo apt-get
install eclipse`. In order to install the g++ compiler, type `sudo apt-get
install g++`. The only issue I can foresee is having the development
libraries (as they're not installed by default), but that's a simple `sudo
apt-get install <package>-dev`.

Hope this helps out some. I don't use Eclipse personally (preferring the
ways of vi) but this should give you some pointers.