[ubuntu-us-mi] thoughts on a Penguicon panel

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 09:42:54 GMT 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 11:55 PM, Craig Maloney <craig at decafbad.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 21:31 -0500, Wolfger wrote:
>
> > Well, there is something to be said for "too much choice" overwhelming
> > a great many people... but the desktop environment is such a HUGE part
> > of the user experience that if you only present one face, that may be
> > counterproductive as well. I, for example, can't stand GNOME, and
> > probably would not be using Linux today if that was how I'd first
> > encountered this OS.
>
> Agreed. I think KDE has too many fiddly bits to it, personally, and find
> GNOME matches more of my Macintosh-derived ethos. Choice is good, but in
> the case of Ubuntu, you're already asking people to make a choice
> between whatever they're currently running and Ubuntu. Confusing that
> with K/X/Ed/who-knows-what-else, and having the participants drink from
> the firehose of choice may have people sitting back in their chairs and
> deciding not to decide on any Ubuntu at all.

OK, now imagine for a moment that Kubuntu is the mainstream distro,
and Ubuntu is the alternative. How would you feel then about selling
the distro with the desktop you personally dislike? :-)
Just trying to illustrate where I'm coming from. Hard for me to "sell
Ubuntu" to anybody when I couldn't take it for more than 2 weeks
myself (I made a sincere effort to try to like GNOME...)

It's that confusion that you're talking about that I wanted to try to
reduce by coming up with some clear way to explain the differences. Of
course, I'm not sure how to do that, exactly, so you're probably
right.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/