[ubuntu-us-mi] thoughts on a Penguicon panel

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 02:31:04 GMT 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 9:08 PM, Craig Maloney <craig at decafbad.net> wrote:

> I think the Ubuntu choice should be secondary to a general discussion
> about Ubuntu.

Seeing as how so much of Ubuntu is GNOME specific, I'm not sure how
this thought process works. First show them the "one true distro", and
then those who haven't decided "I don't like it" can be told there's
an alternative (which they probably won't be interested in, since they
liked the mainstream)?

> Going in there with the idea of multiple Ubuntu
> distributions could only be confusing and possibly counterproductive.

Well, there is something to be said for "too much choice" overwhelming
a great many people... but the desktop environment is such a HUGE part
of the user experience that if you only present one face, that may be
counterproductive as well. I, for example, can't stand GNOME, and
probably would not be using Linux today if that was how I'd first
encountered this OS.
(My first OS, Mandrake 7-ish, offered a choice of multiple desktop
environments at the login, and I tried them all, but I'm just freaky
that way)

As always... my opinion. Worth every penny you paid for it. ;-)

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/