Opensource-MD Apr 17 Meeting

Ron Swift rswift at swiftstaffing.com
Thu Apr 10 17:47:22 UTC 2014

Please join us at our Apr 17 meeting at 7 pm at the Howard County
central library across from the Columbia Mall. Stuart Hirsch will
demonstrate the use of opensource software to contol model trains. Here
are the details:
I will briefly present how HO trains were, and in many cases still
are, run on DC. I will then explain what DCC (Digital Command
Control) is, how it works, and its advantages and demonstrating running
engines via DCC using the Digitrax Zephyr.  Then demonstrate JMRI's
decoder pro. Decoder Pro is an open source program available to all. I
will show and explain how to download it on windows, Mac, and linux
platforms. I will discuss the advantages of decoder  I will then give a
demonstration of engine programming and try to run an engine via my
smartphone. The smartphone is Wi Throttle, the basic version is
available for free for both iPhone and android  through JMRI.
Stuart

Thanks
--
Ron Swift