Article- Is Ubuntu A Real Alternative to Windows

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 00:34:48 UTC 2013

1. I can't go into a retail store and buy a computer with Ubuntu
pre-installed on it
Is there a market for this?  If there is not, that's why you don't see
it.  If you think there's a market for it and nobody's selling this
product, then you should invest in someone, or start your own
business.

2. Other then system76, there is no way to buy a Ubuntu computer
online (as far as I know)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=buy+ubuntu+preinstalled&l=1

3. When a new version of Ubuntu is released, I dont hear about it on
TV, newspapers, magazines, etc.
Canonical sales and marketing (I would imagine) have looked at this
and decided that the ROI is too low.

4. I can't buy the OS on a DVD in any retail store anywhere.
Brick and Morter:
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=ubuntu&N=4294967279
Online:
http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17
However, its been a long time since I installed an OS from a CD/DVD.
It's encouraging that those two types of media are dying.  Hopefully
it equates to less trash and waste in our environment.

Don't most computer users (presently company excluded) just want a
computer that lets them check email and update their Facebook?
Yes.

How is anyone going to get one of these users to consider a Ubuntu computer?
Install it for them and make sure that Chromium with the Chrome Remote
Desktop extension is installed.  If you have version > 25 you will be
able to control their desktop remotely and do voice/video chat over
WebRTC.