Need some help setting up an old pc to ubuntu

Brian Kemp brian.kemp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 01:40:42 GMT 2010

Hello, Wendy!

The answer is almost certainly Yes. :D

I've had a lot of success making computers perform better by installing
Ubuntu and other Linux distributions on them.

I would say that if your computer is less than 10 years old it will
benefit. (I've had success on machines as old as 12 years.)

You can help us help you by sharing as much as you know about this
computer. The more detailed, the better--but even make/model and when
you bought it would probably be enough.

I personally live in Westminster & commute to Rockville - but the
Columbia area Linux Users' Group (CALUG) is nearby; they should be happy
to help. There are people on this list who are members.

If your pc is running slow and you bought it within the last, oh...5
years, your best bet is to try a Linux Live CD, such as the Ubuntu Live
CD.

You insert it into your computer's CD/DVD drive, reboot your machine,
and your system then runs Linux. It's a little slower than a permanent
install, but it's a very good way to see what the new system has to
offer. If you like what you see, you can install from there. If you
don't, shut down your machine, take the CD out, and your computer is
untouched.

There are instructions online for downloading and burning the CDs, and
there are people on this list who have professionally pressed CDs they'd
be happy to give you.

In either case, we're happy to answer further questions, or direct you
to where you can find information for yourself.

--Brian Kemp