Reading from a Linux RAID1 disk

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Fri Aug 27 23:02:19 BST 2010

  This makes no sense. The whole purpose of a mirror is recovery after
one side fails. However, the software may
require you to confirm this after the failure occurs. In other words,
the failure mode might be "freeze totally until the user tells me that
the disk has failed and assumes responsibility for running with no
redundancy" rather than "just run with only one half of the mirror".

So I would investigate the mdadm commands to explicitly fail one side of
the mirror. Things might also be more complicated by the fact that you
have moved the disk to another host. In otherwords, the old sda now
became sdb, altho the way I understand MD, it essentially writes its own
high level labels and UUIDs and doesn't care about physical device
associations for any longer than the life of this boot.

You might also google for "linux software raid mirror disk failure"
optionally replacing the first three words with "mdadm".

Good Luck and let us know how this turned out.

JIM