May Meeting - New Format

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Fri Apr 30 07:01:21 BST 2010

How is this any different than building a distro on a disk? A thumb
drive is just a disk. You create a label with fdisk, partition it, and
install normally.

OK, don't tell me you are going to use one of those icky syslinux
recipes. Why would you do that when you just just use grub?

Why use two methods when one will do? One other hint...with a thumb
drive, don't bother making a swap partition.

JIM

P.S. Yes, there are some tricky issues concerning the mapping between
(hd0) and (hd1) to sda and sdb and which of those is the thumb or hard
drive, and it even varies depending on whether you do a manual install
or a kickstart. And probably the distro as well. And then there is
grub2, which does who knows what.