If you want a Google Wave invite let me know [EOM]

Nate omegamormegil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 15:40:59 GMT 2009

I have had some issues with 9.10, but to be fair to Canonical and the Ubuntu
release guys, regressions aren't really their fault.  Many problems aren't
discovered until after the release because the new version wasn't tested on
their hardware.  While I don't exactly understand why this is necessary,
it's apparent that the kernel hackers (upstream, not Canonical) seem to
introduce a few hardware regressions every release while they are improving
other features.

That said, it is their fault when they choose to include brand new virtually
untested software such as Grub2 in Karmic and the new Intel graphics drivers
in Jaunty.  While buggy software can be very frustrating, I am making the
choice to upgrade every six months as opposed to sticking with the LTS
releases and upgrading every two years.  I prefer getting all the new stuff
they are working on than sticking with a much more stable OS.  Because users
have the option of sticking with an older release, Canonical chooses to push
new tech into their 6 month releases.  If they didn't, it would NEVER get
testing.  For example, if Grub2 hadn't been included in Karmic, it would
have been just as buggy if they waited and added it to Lucid.  Now that it's
getting testing in Karmic and the bugs are being found, it should be a much
more stable bootloader for Lucid.

For the past few releases I wished Canonical would change the release
schedule so that there is more beta time for testing and less alpha time
where everything is in a state of flux. Surprisingly, they have implemented
this for Lucid - there will be 3 Alpha releases and 2 Beta releases adding
about two weeks of time for beta testing (compared to 6 Alpha releases and 1
beta release in previous versions of Ubuntu).

See:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule
         https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

Also, in an effort to hopefully improve stability, new packages in lucid are
being pulled from Debian Testing instead of Debian unstable, in the hope
that the packages from the more tested repository will contribute to less
bugs in Lucid from the beginning.  Pulling from Debian Testing may be a
permanent change for LTS releases if it goes well, but I'm not sure about
the release schedule.

Nate
(Sorry for the long email :)