Linux Format 116 Free Download

Josh Rhoderick rhoderickj at gmail.com
Fri May 15 14:30:27 BST 2009

I don't think we should sound the death knell for LiveCDs just yet. There is
a kernel bug<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/88746>present
in the ehci_hcd module that prevents a lot of us from using flash
drives at USB 2.0 speeds, and some of us can't use USB devices at all. This
is the bug that forced me to quit using Linux. Well, that one, and
this one<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/272156>
.

Until the USB stack is fixed -- and I'm not holding my breath -- CDs and
DVDs are the only option for those of us with affected hardware.

-- Josh