Linux Against Poverty: Any interest in doing something like this around here?

John Hofstetter hookedonlinux at verizon.net
Thu Jul 30 02:36:51 BST 2009

In the last year I've passed about six hand me downs onto people living
on the poor side of town.  I've sold them for a nominal charge--$20-50
for the CPU, $5 for the keyboard & mouse and $10 for CRT monitors.
Naturally the time spent is hardly recovered in the sale, I'm more
convinced that they'll actually use them if they pay for them.  Children
and non-profits are another consideration that hadn't occurred to me, if
they need them they'll use them.  I've mostly installed Xubuntu, Zeven
or Kubuntu on machines depending on performance and installed swf and
Java plugins as well as some additional software.  Most folk don't have
a problem adding $20 to the phone bill for basic DSL.

I'll provide the hand me downs and personal tutorials for free to
non-profits and children.  I'm in Frederick and can cover the
Westminster to Hagerstown region.  When is the party I'll be there!

Regrettably I'm not gifted with good organizational skills but am
delighted to contribute.

John Hofstetter
Frederick, MD
hookedonlinux at verizon.net