Linux Against Poverty: Any interest in doing something like this around here?

Nate omegamormegil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 21:40:35 BST 2009

I'm excited about all the interest in doing something like this in the
Columbia/Baltimore area.  I think this would be a great way to help children
that don't have computers, and also to increase awareness about Linux.

The idea I had would be to work with children in the inner city of
Baltimore, as someone else already suggested.  Anyone interested in helping
by talking about this idea to contacts in the school system would be great.
I don't know what the best way of connecting these Linux boxes to the people
that need them would be, but perhaps someone else will have a good
suggestion.

Giving computers to families without a computer outside of Baltimore would
also be great.  What about giving computers to places like homeless
shelters?  Just exposing them to Ubuntu can go a long way.  For example I
spoke with the head of a homeless shelter in Salisbury about using Ubuntu,
and they were very excited about it.  All they used their computers for was
light word processing and spreadsheets, and they were already using Firefox
to access their services software, which is web based.  When I approached
them, they were facing the inevitability of having to spend ridiculous
amounts of money to upgrade (replace) all their computers for Vista when XP
was no longer being supported.

It sounds like there are already a bunch of people wanting to donate
computers, which is awesome.  I was also thinking it might be interesting to
try to connect with people in the Howard County school system to see if
anyone in this area would be interested in donating computers to help the
children in the poorer Baltimore area.  I thought this could be a great way
for children to learn about charitable giving and might be interesting to
Howard County school teachers and parents.  This would have the added
benefit of exposing additional people that might want to help to the
project, and would expose them to Linux.  Linux isn't only great for those
in poverty, after all.  I wish schools in affluent and in poorer areas would
stop spending money on operating systems and software, and spend it on the
children.  Thoughts?

Figuring out where to stash the donated computers will be interesting.  Any
ideas?
Getting Linux on the computers will probably be the easiest part, as I
imagine we could have an install fest.  Any ideas as to what distros to use
would probably be good.  Obviously Ubuntu, or Edubuntu would be great if the
computer can run it.  If the computer is too old, should we use Puppy, or is
there something better in between?

I don't think pitching the computers to people that need them will be too
challenging.  While some people may not feel that a "Free" system can be any
good, we should probably come up with a list of advantages Linux has over
the more popular alternatives  (security, virus protection, lower cost,
etc).  I feel that Linux is a better fit for a lot of people, especially
children, because they are more flexible and aren't locked into the Windows
way of doing things.  Children love to learn and explore, and Ubuntu gives
easy access to thousands of software applications which are additionally
open source for anyone interested in learning to write software.

Nate (Omegamormegil)