Problems w/ wireless connection after installing updates

Nate omegamormegil at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 20:20:07 BST 2009

Generally speaking, running *updates* should not cause problems.  When an
upgrade on an Ubuntu system (excluding alpha and beta versions) causes a
regression, it's considered a huge problem, which is why updates to stable
versions are almost always limited to security patches or very trusted
version updates with minor changes which fix major problems in the stable
release.

Problems when running *upgrades* are much more common as a lot of things can
change release to release.  Hopefully, any problems someone might have when
upgrading have already been noted in the Release Notes, unless no one
noticed/reported the problem in the beta.

George, did you purchase the system from Dell with Ubuntu Preloaded?  What
is the model of the computer?  And did you do an update or an upgrade to a
new version?  Do you know what version of Ubuntu you are currently running
on the computer with wireless problems?  If you don't know what version you
are running you can check the System tab in the System Monitor (open the
System Monitor by pressing Alt+F2 and typing gnome-system-monitor in the
box, and click Run).  If you bought the system with Ubuntu already on it,
you are probably running Ubuntu 8.04.  Have you had any success getting this
working yet?  Let us know.

Alan, I'm sorry you've had so many issues upgrading.  It's unfortunet the
upgrade process didn't go better for you.  I usually upgrade my primary
Ubuntu system during late alpha (after testing my hardware against the
LiveCD, of course!) for testing and then run a full reinstall after final
release, as sometimes pre-release systems have various bits of oddness left
over.  My two other systems are all upgraded, release to release, and I
usually don't experience major issues (at least not unexpected ones).

Keeping your entire system intact and buying a new harddrive is certainly a
guaranteed way of making sure you aren't left out in the cold, but I don't
think that most users need to go to this much effort to keep their system
functional.  Keeping the old system on a seperate partition is an
interesting suggestion and could be a good move if you expect issues and and
if you have the space.

If you don't want to upgrade directly, another option would be to keep your
home folder on a seperate partition so that when you do your fresh install,
all your data (pictures, music, save games) and user settings persist.
Generally the stuff that is not in /home can just be reinstalled to get your
old system back if you need to.  (There are ways to automate the
reinstallation of the software you had installed in the old system via
Synaptic or the command line if you go this route).

Of course, there are a lot of Ubuntu people who don't upgrade.  I think most
of the fear comes from horrible past experiences running Windows upgrades.
Also, upgrading highly customized Ubuntu systems would be more likely to be
problematic.

I personally want the Ubuntu upgrade process to be flawless which is why I
choose to upgrade so that I can report any bugs I encounter.  Upgrading to
the beta version is probably the most helpful, as there is still time to fix
issues.  I'd encourage others to do the same if they are into reporting bugs
and making the upgrade process work better, so that users who just want it
to work have a good experience.

As for your video issues, YouTube will work if you install the
flashplugin-installer package with Synaptic or type "sudo apt-get install
flashplugin-installer" on the command line.  If he is attempting to watch
unsupported video formats in Totem, you should be prompted to install the
appropriate codecs, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Nate