My poor Karmic boot time

Craig Younkins cyounkins at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 01:27:25 GMT 2009

Nate,

Is your system up to date?

The first long pause occurs when mounting the disks (ureadahead + mountall).
I know there was a recent update to ureadahead. It seems strange to me that
hdparm is running for a long time. If I'm reading this correctly, hdparm is
calling sync, which takes a long time. Try 'sync' in bash, how long does it
take?

For the second long pause, I notice that 'gnome-at-visual' and 'gconftool-2'
finish up just when the disk i/o goes high and work starts going again.
There also appears to be a long-running 'dd', which confuses me. Why would
dd be needed for boot?

Will bootchart my pc and take a look. Hope this helps :-/

--

Craig Younkins
Mobile: (301) 520-0463