Computer Donations Project

mlb at imparisystems.com mlb at imparisystems.com
Fri Aug 21 20:06:43 BST 2009

Thanks Nate!

I've been looking at the other side of the Donations Project - who will get
them.  I've talked with the Boys and Girls Club of Frederick County -
apparently the Boys and Girls Club gets free Windows and deeply discounted
applications through the national offices and want Windows boxes.  They'll
take Linux servers but don't have the knowledge to set them up and would
need help doing that.

I've found that non-profits and local organizations that run off of
volunteer effort are usually interested in server based applications, but
prefer to stick with Windows on the desktop because they can get volunteers
to support it easier.

I am starting to contact some other organizations to see what is possible
and looking into public service announcements.  I'm looking to distribute
these boxes to people who need them vs. people who want a good deal.  I'm
also trying to contact some churches to see if they have some method to
determine people in need.

Right now, I'm checking with some groups at the state government level -
notably Child Services and WIC.

If people have any ideas, let me know and I'll track it down.