Projects

Ron Swift rswift at swiftstaffing.com
Tue Mar 25 13:04:59 GMT 2008

Here is the information that appeared in the attachment.

      Ubuntu Projects

        The Childrens Home

The Childrens Home of Catonsville, MD (www.childrenshome.net) was
established in 1863 as a residential care facility for children aged 8
to 21 years of age who have experienced abuse, neglect, violence,
abandonment, and/or are in need of supervised care. The campus like
setting had just added a major new educational facility in October 2007.
They were seeking corporate contributions for the facility.

I decided to contribute two desktop computer systems that were no longer
needed in our office. They were Dell Pentium II workstations with Ubuntu
Feisty. Both systems were delivered and set up in the new facility in
October 2007. Since then the students have been using the systems'
Firefox web browser and OpenOffice applications to complete homework
assignments without any training according to the facility administrator.

        Randallstown Co-Op Senior Center

This senior living facility on Old Court Road in Randallstown, MD has
approximately 400 residents. We purchased two computer systems from the
Howard County library and added Ubuntu Gutsy and wireless usb devices. A
Dell printer was obtained from a local company free of charge. We had to
add new ink cartridges which the Co-op facility reimbursed us. The
facility provided two workstation desks and the units were set up in
their library in February 2008.

We initially provided a one hour overview on the new systems to the
facilities board of directors. We also agreed to provide three two hour
training sessions for interested residents at no charge.
Over the next several weeks we completed the training sessions for a
total of 21 residents. The training sessions covered:
1.Computer Operating Systems Overview
2.Introducing Ubuntu
3.Exploring the Ubuntu Desktop
4.Using the Internet
5.Introduction to GMAIL
6.OpenOffice Application Overview

The feedback from the training and the systems in general has been quite
positive. They have inquired about additional training but I was
informed that the facility corporate management has now decided to
provide computer training to all facilities.

--
Ron Swift
President