[ubuntu-us-ma] One of the More Interesting Open Source Softwares I've Tried

Bill Simonds wtsimonds at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:03:04 UTC 2011

is Audacity, an open source cross platform wave form editor and
recorder. Get it here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

If you have not played around with it, you don't know what you're
missing. What do you do with it? You record and edit streaming audio.
You can subscribe to a song playing service like Napster, MOG,
($5.00/month) or Rhapsody and as the music it streamed to you, you
just hit "record" and capture it. Then, with a few strokes of your
mouse, output the recording to mp3 files, or .flak - the open source
free losless audio codec.

The resulting recordings sound great, just like commercial mp3 file
you buy for $.99 from iTunes or Amazon, but the cost is near zero. It
might even be legal, as it's no different from recording a TV show
with a VCR or whatever.

I have thrown together a little demo of songs I recorded, in case you
want to explore it further. http://www.box.net/shared/ht9sfdrpgl

In the event that you need some suggestions as to what to play your
music on, I recommend two players: Songbird and VLC. Both are free
software. Songbird is Mozilla foundation's newest thing, designed to
compete with iTunes. It's purple. Both of those things play .flak,
which is said to be superior to Apple Losless. VLC plays anything,
incl. video. If you find yourself in possession of some weird file and
have no idea how to play it, chances are VLC will play it. It has
codecs for everything built in, no need to install libraries.