[ubuntu-us-ma] Inner City Ubuntu Hour 2

Jay Fulton databasejay at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 15:29:37 UTC 2011

Thank you.

A standard sounds good for any public facing initiative.

If an acquaintance/friend passes forward a machine which actually
**difficult ** to convert, it ends up in my pile of stuff and
eventually goes to the recycle center for a minor expense of 10.00.
It becomes 'parts'.

On 7/3/11, Dave Hunt <ka1cey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We should set minimum standards for such donations.  I work with another
> group that puts Ubuntu onto donated laptops.  We decided to have an
> unofficial minimum system requirement of 512 mb ram, ability to boot
> from cd and/or usb, working screen, keyboard, pointing device, drives.
> Even with this informal standard in place, we, sometimes, ended up with
> trash machines.  It's hard to say "no" to a donation, however.  How to
> be diplomatic about setting minimum requirements?
>

> Cheers,
>

> Dave
>

> On 03/07/11 05:45, Jay Fulton wrote:
>> Question for you...  Over the past few years, I have had the
>> opportunity to convert 4 used PCs and 2  laptops to ubuntu - and then
>> give the device to someone who lacks one.
>>
>> Can I bring the next one to the group for distribution?  Are there
>> minimum standards for the components? Some of these PCs were mongrels
>> with mismatched monitors...
>>
>> Thanks and let me know
>>
>> Jay
>>
>> On 7/2/11, Martin Owens<doctormo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> Today was the second Inner City Ubuntu Hour[1], myself, Dave Hunt and
>>> Ralph DeGenero met at Winter Street and Tremont on this beautiful july
>>> forth weekend to talk geek about Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> First stop we went to Starbucks to get some drinks and use up Rio's free
>>> drink card. Then onwards to have some food at Pho Pasture in Boston's
>>> China Town. We talked about the etymology of language and lots of
>>> various geeky subjects. The main event followed:
>>>
>>> We took the T (train) to Andrew Sq. and walked over to the Mary Ellen
>>> Community Center. I showed off the computer lab with full Ubuntu
>>> machines and how the network was administered and kept in sync.
>>> Particularly interesting was the way the package syncing worked and the
>>> new user registration gdm[2]. You can see a video of me demonstrating
>>> the user registration system here[3].
>>>
>>> I also have a set of scripts to notify users and track their session
>>> times using libnotify and app-indicators. You can check out the
>>> client[4] and server scripts[5] here and the session manager here[6]
>>> (unfinished).
>>>
>>> We tested the Orca screen reader and attempted to upgrade it for the lab
>>> to 3.1, but the new versions are having trouble with Maverick at the
>>> moment. So they were quickly downgraded.
>>>
>>> With that, we ended to Ubuntu Hour which was extended into over time to
>>> show off some really cool stuff.
>>>
>>> I hope more people can make it to the next Ubuntu Hour next month.
>>> Special guest PaulTag! :-D
>>>
>>> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>>>
>>> 1. http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-us-ma/1027/detail/
>>> 2. https://code.launchpad.net/~doctormo/gdm-commmunity-greeter/trunk