[ubuntu-us-ma] Inner City Ubuntu Hour 2

Jay Fulton databasejay at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 09:45:25 UTC 2011

Question for you...  Over the past few years, I have had the
opportunity to convert 4 used PCs and 2  laptops to ubuntu - and then
give the device to someone who lacks one.

Can I bring the next one to the group for distribution?  Are there
minimum standards for the components? Some of these PCs were mongrels
with mismatched monitors...

Thanks and let me know

Jay

On 7/2/11, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Today was the second Inner City Ubuntu Hour[1], myself, Dave Hunt and
> Ralph DeGenero met at Winter Street and Tremont on this beautiful july
> forth weekend to talk geek about Ubuntu.
>
> First stop we went to Starbucks to get some drinks and use up Rio's free
> drink card. Then onwards to have some food at Pho Pasture in Boston's
> China Town. We talked about the etymology of language and lots of
> various geeky subjects. The main event followed:
>
> We took the T (train) to Andrew Sq. and walked over to the Mary Ellen
> Community Center. I showed off the computer lab with full Ubuntu
> machines and how the network was administered and kept in sync.
> Particularly interesting was the way the package syncing worked and the
> new user registration gdm[2]. You can see a video of me demonstrating
> the user registration system here[3].
>
> I also have a set of scripts to notify users and track their session
> times using libnotify and app-indicators. You can check out the
> client[4] and server scripts[5] here and the session manager here[6]
> (unfinished).
>
> We tested the Orca screen reader and attempted to upgrade it for the lab
> to 3.1, but the new versions are having trouble with Maverick at the
> moment. So they were quickly downgraded.
>
> With that, we ended to Ubuntu Hour which was extended into over time to
> show off some really cool stuff.
>
> I hope more people can make it to the next Ubuntu Hour next month.
> Special guest PaulTag! :-D
>
> Best Regards, Martin Owens
>
> 1. http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-us-ma/1027/detail/
> 2. https://code.launchpad.net/~doctormo/gdm-commmunity-greeter/trunk