[ubuntu-us-ma] Inner City Ubuntu Hour 2

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 20:36:10 UTC 2011

Hey Guys,

Today was the second Inner City Ubuntu Hour[1], myself, Dave Hunt and
Ralph DeGenero met at Winter Street and Tremont on this beautiful july
forth weekend to talk geek about Ubuntu.

First stop we went to Starbucks to get some drinks and use up Rio's free
drink card. Then onwards to have some food at Pho Pasture in Boston's
China Town. We talked about the etymology of language and lots of
various geeky subjects. The main event followed:

We took the T (train) to Andrew Sq. and walked over to the Mary Ellen
Community Center. I showed off the computer lab with full Ubuntu
machines and how the network was administered and kept in sync.
Particularly interesting was the way the package syncing worked and the
new user registration gdm[2]. You can see a video of me demonstrating
the user registration system here[3].

I also have a set of scripts to notify users and track their session
times using libnotify and app-indicators. You can check out the
client[4] and server scripts[5] here and the session manager here[6]
(unfinished).

We tested the Orca screen reader and attempted to upgrade it for the lab
to 3.1, but the new versions are having trouble with Maverick at the
moment. So they were quickly downgraded.

With that, we ended to Ubuntu Hour which was extended into over time to
show off some really cool stuff.

I hope more people can make it to the next Ubuntu Hour next month.
Special guest PaulTag! :-D

Best Regards, Martin Owens

1. http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-us-ma/1027/detail/
2. https://code.launchpad.net/~doctormo/gdm-commmunity-greeter/trunk