[ubuntu-us-ma] Ubun-Do List

George E Noon ge.noon at verizon.net
Fri Jul 1 21:43:41 UTC 2011

On 07/01/2011 04:39 PM, Algot Runeman wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 03:01 PM, George E Noon wrote:

>>> George.
>>>
>>> The link in your email works for me from Kubuntu 11.04 with Firefox
>>> 5. Login and registration options are in the top right corner for
>>> me, but then I get a page which shows recent uploads and the top ten
>>> downloads of the last month. From there, it is best to look up by
>>> keywords.
>>> --Algot
>>>

>>> --
>>> -------------------------
>>> Algot Runeman
>>> 47 Walnut Street, Natick MA 01760
>>> 508-655-8399
>>> algot.runeman at verizon.net
>>> Web Site:http://www.runeman.org
>>> Twitter:http://twitter.com/algotruneman/
>>> sip:algot.runeman at ekiga.net
>>> Open Source Blog:http://mosssig.wordpress.com
>> Algot,
>>     'Twas my error: I transposed the r & t in 'clipart'; then didn't
>> even notice the error when I failed to load the expected page ---
>> I've long maintained that the writer makes a poor editor of his own
>> work, as he sees what should be there rather than what is - or that's
>> been my experience.....  When I put all the letters back in proper
>> order, the page loaded just fine.
>>     Very useful site & I found the link there to the
>> 'openfontslibray' site, which will also prove to be useful ---- now
>> if someone could just come up with a nice 'Olde English'-type font,
>> as is used on Diplomas Certificates, ect. Also, if someone could get
>> LibreOffice to include some clue as to how additional fonts can be
>> installed & just where in the file structure they need to go ---- I'd
>> be a whole lot more content.
>>     Thank you for your feed-back.
>> George E Noon
> George,
>
> Are you running K/Ubuntu? If you are, there should be an easy way.
> I use Kubuntu, and in my user's home directory, there is a folder
> called .fonts (dotfonts). I may actually have made it. The Dolphin
> file manager uses Alt+. to show them. I'm not sure how the Ubuntu file
> manager handles it.
>
> I just drag my TTF files there and when I start an application, there
> they are.
>
> --Algot
>
> --
> -------------------------
> Algot Runeman
> 47 Walnut Street, Natick MA 01760
> 508-655-8399
> algot.runeman at verizon.net
> Web Site:http://www.runeman.org
> Twitter:http://twitter.com/algotruneman/
> sip:algot.runeman at ekiga.net
> Open Source Blog:http://mosssig.wordpress.com
Algot,
     Actually, on by self-made Linux box, with its 1 500GB & 2 1TB
drives, I am running
1.    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid
2.    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty, Gnome fallback --- I simply hate Unity & even
if my 'box was happy to run it faster     than light, I wouldn't be. So
the fallback is ideal for me.
3.    Debian 6 Squeeze -- Gnome 3 desktop, not entirely thrilled with
this either; I feel that Gnome 2.x was better in some ways.
4,    Fedora 15 Lovelock, Gnome 3 desktop ------ good - but different
enough that it really makes me think about everything I do.... Not yet
intuitive for me, but I haven't given up - not yet...

     I downloaded two fonts from openfontslibrary, opened them with
Archive Manager, then opened the font itself with font viewer and
clicked 'install' button in lower left corner of window [all this is in
11.04 Natty, Gnome fallback... I did have to log off & log back on, but
after I had, the two fonts are now in the .fonts folder of my home
folder and is included in the fonts list of Libre Office Writer.
     Thanks very much
George