[ubuntu-us-ma] Ubuntu 10.04 (minimal install)

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 14:30:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 13:46 +0000, johnmalloy at comcast.net wrote:
> I have a project that has Ubuntu 10.04 installed on a kiosk with less
> than 4gb of space on the boot disk.
>
> Any suggestions on what to delete (minimal install)?

A standard Ubuntu install (desktop) will fit on 4GB. You just won't have
much room for cache or apps.

I also recommend following the guides for setting up kiosk mode in gdm,
so your user logs in automatically and he isn't an administrator.

I also advise against firefox, unless you switch off a bunch of xul
stuff and disable extensions. They can be a bastard to remove later. Try
one of the webkit browsers like chromium or gallium.

I'm actually writing a gdm login program that lets users register for
new accounts right now. Fun in a python bun.

Martin,