[ubuntu-us-ma] OnSite Inspection Was: server down at SETC

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 02:07:09 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 20:57 -0400, mel king wrote:
> it was good to see you here and the plan to  do pxe on the 19th of
> october
>
> understand your frustration    when we have   a task requested from
> persons computer we try to honor it
>   we work hard to convince people on the merits of ubuntu   when
> that
> fails we comply with what is in their comfort zone
> what you missed was that the individual who brought the computer you
> described left with one with ubuntu on it
> i do wish you would honor ones right to choose

Thanks for the email mel, yes I also want to make sure people get what
they want. What I see happening is that when a helper is
dis-enfranchised, unexperienced and comfortable with old windows, they
are very much unable to solve problems for users and it's no surprise
that the users feel that their only choice is a step backwards to more
familiar ground.

I think we need some resources to lean on, something solid to refer to
in order to solve problems and of course some external links to where to
go for help when things go wrong.

I'm thinking about how to do that effectively, a couple of posters ,
maybe a file with some printed sheets etc.

Martin,